Wednesday, January 19, 2011

o'keeffe shells

My third, fourth, and fifth graders have examined the life and artwork of famed American artist Georgia O'Keeffe for the last two weeks. I wanted something natural that the kids were able to relate to...and something...um..."non-floral"?! I have had some shells in my cupboard that have been begging to be used for something, and this was the perfect project for my fourth graders!

It truly was a test of patience on my part...teaching shading to 9 year olds who call it "coloring". Oy. In the end I think we all learned a little something, and their artwork definitely shows the beginning stages of VALUE! Score!
If you live in an area where shells are NOT readily available, I've seen some shell packs in Sax Arts catalog. In fact, I think some of the shells we used were from that catalog! Each was assigned a shell and we drew in contour on day 1. On day 2 we made a 5-shade value scale and then used that to parallel into our lesson on shading and value.
I entered one of these at the last minute into a community art show over the weekend and it won a first place ribbon! I love it when things work out like that!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I have BOXES of shells that were donated to my art room & I was just waiting for a idea - I'll be sure to try this with the larger sizes of shell...

    ReplyDelete