Thursday, May 19, 2011

graphite animal drawings

It's the end of the year. My fifth graders are fried and so am I. We've run the gammit of projects this year and I needed something for them to do to reinforce drawing skills.

It is very possible that if you asked my students right now what they thought about this project, they'd say they hated it, that it was "boring", and that it was too hard for them.

Obviously their results prove otherwise! I think they're just used to doing "exciting", colorful projects and the grays and whites of a graphite drawing doesn't appeal to them. Fair 'nuff.

I love their drawings, and they are a beautiful visual reminder of just how far they've come this year. Had they done this on day one, they'd be a visual mess of thick contour lines and scribbly fur.

You've come a long way, my dear fifth graders...

3 comments:

  1. These are beautiful drawings.
    The first one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amzing art teacher! I would LOVE to get results like this out of my 5th graders. You inspire me girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. A great idea for 5th graders when we study Antarctica next month.Thanks

    ReplyDelete