Friday, February 3, 2012

foil embossing

This was a project that ALMOST never "was". I had envisioned something totally different, and was frustrated after I had the students start this and realized it just wasn't going to happen. Long story short, my fifth graders "drew" on canvas with glue and we were going to let the glue dry and paint monochromatically over the top.



It didn't work. I was CRUSHED! ALL THAT MONEY ON CANVAS---we had to salvage them! I saw some foil relief projects on Fine Lines and was so glad I did! She inspired me to have the kids go back over their original design with more glue and add yarn for more elevated designs.



We then used spray adhesive and laid foil over the top. They pressed the foil down around their yarn pieces to create that embossed look.


Lastly, they used colored Sharpies to color the recessed areas and left the embossed "lines" silver.



This was definitely one of those projects that promised to be an epic FAIL, but turned out to be a favorite amongst my fifth graders.








This project was the perfect mixture of perfecting the "process" of making art, along with the glorious "products" created. For a thought-provoking take on the subject of "process-vs-product", I invite you over to PreK and K Sharing for a good read. I hate when projects don't turn out the way I had envisioned....but I am ecstatic these exceeded any expectations I originally had!





Pin It


Somewhat Simple




22 comments:

  1. These turned out great! What type of aluminium foil did you use? I particularly love the 2nd one from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We just used heavy-duty reynold's aluminum foil! I bought it at Sam's Club :)

      Delete
  2. Joanna - These turned out beautifully!! I love all the fluid lines and bright colors. What a great "save" -- glad I could be of help!! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice! always love that sharpie-over-foil look. glad it was a save!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are BEAUTIFUL. Thank goodness for the art experiment!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. These are so great!
    I'm going to link it to my lessons I love!
    http://drawthelineat.blogspot.com/p/lesson-i-love.html

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also had the glue drama with a couple lessons and learned the hard way- the key is you have to make sure you are using the elmers "glue all" and NOT the "school glue". The school glue spreads out into a mess and doesn't keep its shape when it dries. The foil came out great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy! You have got THAT right. I tried using the school glue for a "drawing" assignment which turned into a glue all over everything assignment. Good thing I caught it before it dried.

      Delete
  7. Elmer's "Gel" glue (or the blue glue) as my kids call it is also a million times better then the "school glue." It's thicker and easier to clean the bottles when they clog too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really turned out great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! These turned out amazing and I plan to do them with my kids (and maybe make one myself too!). I was wondering if you think we could use alcohol inks to color them? Have you ever dealt with using these on aluminum? I plan to make ceramic tiles with the alcohol ink too, just thought maybe we could use them for two projects. Or even use the permanent marker to color them in and then dab the alcohol ink blending mix on them. Thanks!!

    http://hollysartcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again! Just thought I would come back and give you the link to our project this week! We were inspired by this wonderful art project and my girls LOVED making their versions. My wall looks so beautiful now! Thank you for posting this project idea.
    http://hollysartcorner.blogspot.com/2012/02/foil-embossed-canvas.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous!!!!! What a great project recovery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to try this with my 9 yr old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What kind of canvas did you use? We want to try this at our summer camp, but need to keep costs down. Will a flat piece of canvas work?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have done a similar project and found that the base does not need to be canvas at all, just a firm base. You could probably try stiff cardboard or foam board cut to size, since it will all be covered with the foil. That should keep your costs down considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joanna,
    My name is Elena and I am curating a collection of Sharpie projects for Looksisquare(dot)com. I don’t know if you’re familiar with Looksi but it’s a lot like CraftGawker: they display a thumbnail image from your blog along with a short description and a link back to your original project. Typically you would submit your own images (like you do on CraftGawker) but they also have curators (like myself) who do theme based round ups. I think this art project would be perfect for my collection which will be published this Friday. Please let me know if you *don’t* want it included so I can remove it.
    Thanks!!
    Elena
    acasarella.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are beautiful works of artwork. They're very electric and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Something fun to occupy yourself with on a crummy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just had to share that I used this same technique to make dragonfly wings with my 4-year-old and he LOVED it!
    http://lindseyedits.blogspot.com/2014/05/dragonfly-craft.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This seems fantastic.. what kind of paint did you use? So vivid :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. How do you do it without getting stroke lines from the Sharpie? Ours is not looking so smoothly covered with color

    ReplyDelete