It didn't work. I was CRUSHED! ALL THAT MONEY ON CANVAS---we had to salvage them! I saw some foil relief projects on Fine Lines and was so glad I did! She inspired me to have the kids go back over their original design with more glue and add yarn for more elevated designs.
We then used spray adhesive and laid foil over the top. They pressed the foil down around their yarn pieces to create that embossed look.
Lastly, they used colored Sharpies to color the recessed areas and left the embossed "lines" silver.
This was definitely one of those projects that promised to be an epic FAIL, but turned out to be a favorite amongst my fifth graders.
This project was the perfect mixture of perfecting the "process" of making art, along with the glorious "products" created. For a thought-provoking take on the subject of "process-vs-product", I invite you over to PreK and K Sharing for a good read. I hate when projects don't turn out the way I had envisioned....but I am ecstatic these exceeded any expectations I originally had!