Wednesday, November 2, 2011

kinder owls

I don't know about you, but I have a really hard time with Kindergarten, so when I see a do-able lesson for my little guys, I pounce on it! I found these cute owls on Pinterest, and I think someone had found them from Mrs. Brown.

I gave each student a 12x18 piece of gray paper, and 3 strips of 1.5"x18" brown(s)---light brown, medium brown, and dark brown. They tore the strips into smaller pieces and put them in piles on their tables. This is a GREAT fine-motor skill! We also practiced using little dabs of glue to hold the feathers in place. Of course with my new tap caps this is working BEAUTIFULLY!!! We also practiced making eyes that were the same size by folding our paper and cutting two pieces at once.

Because I have some pretty speedy kiddos, I had the ones that finished working first practice making stars in their skies. (***GREAT "star" trick---have them make a capital A with a long stick across the middle....then criss-cross, and criss-cross, and you have a perfect STAR!)

I have some more owl projects coming this week---they have such personality!

2 comments: