Last year we did some beautiful O'Keeffe's using a viewfinder and magazine/calendar pictures. This year we used the same basic technique for drawing the flowers, enlarging the pictures onto a 12x18" sheet of watercolor paper.
This year I wanted to do something a little different, and decided to focus the project on contour line and contoured details. I had them use black pen to outline their drawings, then use watercolors to paint orgainic shapes over the tops of their flowers.
This was my "pin"spiration, this wet-on-wet flower I saw on Etsy. The shop is called "Terrace Gallery".
Some students really understood the concept of organic-vs-geometric shapes, and some just had fun with color. Either way, I'm loving the results!