Thursday, February 23, 2012

watercolor o'keeffe's

I love working on O'Keeffe projects every year...she's a great AMERICAN artist to discuss and her work really makes my kids LOOK at what they are drawing. Sometimes it is just so hard to have students draw what they SEE and not what they THINK THEY SEE.

Last year we did some beautiful O'Keeffe's using a viewfinder and magazine/calendar pictures. This year we used the same basic technique for drawing the flowers, enlarging the pictures onto a 12x18" sheet of watercolor paper.


This year I wanted to do something a little different, and decided to focus the project on contour line and contoured details. I had them use black pen to outline their drawings, then use watercolors to paint orgainic shapes over the tops of their flowers.
This was my "pin"spiration, this wet-on-wet flower I saw on Etsy. The shop is called "Terrace Gallery".



Some students really understood the concept of organic-vs-geometric shapes, and some just had fun with color. Either way, I'm loving the results!



As usual, thanks for stopping by!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. These are SOOO cool! I am going to have to create a reason to make them!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, you could use this as a "name the parts of a flower" study, right?! :)Teehee, I'm always streeeeaaaaatching the curriculum a tad :)

      Delete