Tuesday, January 3, 2012

where OUR wild things are!

This post is looooooong overdue, as my third graders made these super-cute (ferocious?!) Wild Things based off the book "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. They first began creating their wild thing using crayon and watercolor...this took an entire day to complete.
On day 2 they created these LARGE backgrounds using fluorescent temperas on 18x24 sheets of paper. We wanted our wild things to look like they were dancing, recreating the "wild rumpus" that takes place in the book. I love how animated these figures are juxtaposed against their colorful backgrounds!
What is also AWESOME about this project is that it was featured in our local newspaper, the Venice Sun. An arts-supporting-reporter came and interviewed me and took lots of pictures of my kiddos at work. I love and appreciate people that think the arts are important! (duh!) You can read the article online here.

8 comments:

  1. These are terrific! I love the bright colors against the black skies. Your 3rd graders did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see your take on this fabulous, classic book. I have been compiling other artist's images of their ideas of what the wild things look like and none of them can hold a candle to your students! Such color! I am so doing this-soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pat, thank you. that means the world to me...i will share your comment with the class that did these---a 3,4,5 combo ESE class. They'll be ecstatic!

      Delete
  3. Love your blog and all your ideas. I am awarding you the Versatile blogger award.
    Check it out:
    http://chickadeejubilee.blogspot.com/2012/01/finally-friday.html

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I love the eyes in each wild thing. I posted on your Ndebele post wondering if you still have the powerpoint available? If so, can you email it to me at:
    whoopiepiequeen@gmail.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspire me! I have to do my own art acitivities as a classroom teacher so this is super helpful. wow - what great activities! I am glad I found your wonderful site! I am your newest follower! Come see me too!
    ~jeannie~
    ­ Kindergarten Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog!!! I love teaching art, and you have so many great ideas here!!! I am awarding your blog with the Versatile Blogger Award.
    http://wildaboutk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete