Wednesday, March 30, 2011

voice your view: art in our community

Back in February I wrote this post about our fabulous visitors from FireBug Studios. Because time got away from me (I hate it when that happens!!!) I neglected to put up any pictures of the finished products!
This project was a grant submitted by me as a Building Blocks PLUS grant to the Education Foundation of Sarasota County, Inc. The grant was about students participating in the entire artistic process, from idea-generating to production to galleries. This was the second part of the grant: making glass sculptures. Each student was supplied with a round piece of glass and had MANY different sizes and shaped pieces with which to work from there. The artists from FireBug taught the kids how to cut the glass and we had very FEW injuries!
I purchased the wooden stands from FireBug for $2 each (the entire glass project cost about $20/student) and they currently reside in our display case at school!
This is, of course, agonizing for the kids as they want to take their work home SOOOOO badly! I am transporting every single one of them to our Art Show next week at the VUCOC, so they have to endure a wait just a little bit longer!
I thank the Education Foundation from the bottom of my heart for granting us the money to do this project. I know it is something the kids will remember (and cherish!) forever!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful artwork.
    I love the variety of colors of the glass pieces.
    The display at your school is amazing!

    Bravo to a great teacher and her students.

    ReplyDelete