Friday, August 21, 2015

Our Turtle-Y Awesome Art Room!

Well, it's been about a year since I've last blogged. Oops. Last year was very tumultuous for our school...we had a new, extremely demanding ridiculous schedule that threw all the Specials teachers for a loop (3, K, 2, 4, 1, 5...all back to back with no passing time in between). I know there are worse schedules out there, but between that and absorbing 17 behavior students from another school we just had a really rough year. 

I'm going to be better this year, starting today! HA!

I have never done a "theme" before. My two boys are SO into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at home and I was TRYING to explain where their names came from this summer to them...

Deaf ears, I tell ya.

Anyways, I digress. So this year's theme is "Turtle-y Awesome" and this is my main bulletin board in the hallway. I bought the little Ninja Turtle masks from Wal-Mart in the party section and added a quick bio about each turtle....er...artist.

I made this sign for my classroom door..Ninjas Only!


Here are my table colors. I made little turtles for each table and each has a different colored mask. When my students walk in, I give them a colored piece of paper and they have to match it up with the turtle's mask and sit at that table. This is how I determine their "assigned" seats.


I found this cute little ninja printable here and thought it would be a good transition sign for my exit door. 


This is my schedule, but more importantly I used twin-sized bed sheets as my bulletin board paper! I don't know about ya'all, but we have to use fire-retardant fabric on our bulletin boards (oh yes, the Fire Marshall checks!) and kids' bedsheets are flame-resistant. Now you know!

And last, I found this hilarious graphic online and had it blown up into a poster at FedEx. It was a little pricey (and when I had it laminated it got wrinkly...UGH!) but I think it's hilarious and hopefully by the end of the year my students will appreciate it!


So just what am I going to do with this "theme"? I could hardly teach an entire year of Renaissance Art (well, I mean I could but I think my students would fall asleep...no offense to you Renaissance lovers!) so I am going to introduce one Artist each quarter. We are going to start out with Michaelangelo. For my 2-5th graders I am going to have them do the standard "Sistene Chapel" lesson on the first day of school. I figure after the seating, rules, expectations, etc this will be a good 20-minute filler lesson. 

For my kids K-1 I am going to give them each a white paper plate, a dab of blue and yellow finger paint so they can make green, then add a ninja mask for their "art ninjas". I will post the project(s) in a different post. 

I am excited about this school year and excited to blog again and share our crazy art journey with you! Have a great beginning of the year!

-Joanna

8 comments:

  1. Hello there. I discovered your blog by the use of Google while looking for a comparable topic, your website came up. It appears good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back then.
    Crib Sheets

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my pupils arrive, I provide them a coloured piece of paper with which they must match the turtle's mask and sit at that table. You interested in ebook writing service UK so contact us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. تعتبر عملية شد ترهلات الجسم والبطن بالليزر طريقة آمنة وفعالة على أنسجة الجلد ، ولا تسبب جروحا مفتوحة ولا تتطلب وقتا كبيراً للشفاء ، كما أن نتائج عملية شد البطن بالليزر يمكن التنبؤ بها وتضمن إزالة الأصباغ على الجلد والتجاعيد وزيادة الكولاجين.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post
    Quality and Affordable CV Writing for Me - Experience exceptional CV writing services at budget-friendly prices with CVWritingServices.ie. Our expert writers will collaborate with you to create a powerful CV that captures the attention of employers in Ireland. Take the first step towards career success with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How has "Our Turtle-Y Awesome Art Room!" contributed to fostering creativity and artistic expression? greeting : https://telkomuniversity.ac.id/icodsa-2023-data-menjadi-bahan-bakar-dalam-inovasi-teknologi/

    ReplyDelete