Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snowflake Snowmen

Even though most of my kids have never seen snow, making snowflakes with them is super-fun! I love the uniqueness of each cut the students make, and they are THRILLED when they have a "really fantastically awesome" snowflake they can show-off to the class! We start with a winter wonderland background on Day 1, and they pretty much think this is the entire project. We do a crayon resist of evergreen trees, snowflakes, and snowy hills.
On Day 2 I give them all 3 different sizes of copy paper (6", 4", and 3") I show them how to cut snowflakes and then we glue them on in a snowman shape! The "snow" that the snowman sits on is a torn piece of paper.
We use scraps to make the hat, scarf, and arms, and markers to make the button eyes, coal mouth, and carrot nose. I've used real buttons before, but they just slide off and make a big mess. I've also done this project where we actually wove a scarf on a chipboard loom (so obviously that project took a wee bit longer than the 2 days you see here!) but it was very nice. I can't seem to find pictures of that one anywhere...

Each snowman is unique, and each one says a little about the child that made it..like this one...did he forget to drink his V8?!


I just love them. I hope this inspires you to make your own with your kiddos!

5 comments:

  1. The snowmen look wonderful! What grade did you do this with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this with both third and fourth grade :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great look. I like your watercolor and crayon resist backgrounds very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea!!!! Can't wait to try it out with my kindergarten friends! : )

    Here is a link to a post I just wrote about this idea!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete