Tuesday, November 15, 2011

back to basics

Florida isn't really known for it's seasons...in fact our seasons are centered around footwear. We have flip-flop season (aka March-December) and close-toed-shoe season (January and February). Of course half of us crazy Floridians wear sandals all year round!

That being said, I can't tell you how many of my kiddos have never even seen a leaf fall off a tree (or knew that leaves changed colors in the fall). I had a colleage head up to her rental home in New Hampshire and asked her to bring me back a box of leaves. She was perplexed (she never knows what my intentions are half the time! Ha!) but obliged....

Sometimes I like to get creative with art projects, but sometimes the tried-and-true art projects are just as beautiful...my students just LOVED making their leaf rubbings. I didn't give them any color scheme(s) to work with, I just let them explore and they had a GREAT time! I love that sometimes with art it's not necessary to reinvent the wheel, even though we all try to.

Happy Fall, ya'all!

2 comments:

  1. Its amazing how children can grow up in such different surroundings!!! Here in Ireland the trees are almost bare now after a rather mild Autumn. We have had every Autumnal colour imaginable in the past 2-3 months. We are now beginning to talk about the possibility of snow again this Winter and the chance of a day or two off school as a result!!

    Love your leaf rubbings.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful!!! bravo! Kisses.

    ReplyDelete